Hemp production, weed control and pulse crop production are among topics that will be covered during the July 17 field day at North Dakota State University’s North Central Research Extension Center (NCREC) near Minot, N.D.
The Northern Pulse Growers Association, Northern Canola Growers Association, North Dakota Wheat Commission and Farm Credit Services are sponsoring the event.
The program begins with a pest clinic at 8:30 a.m. Weed, insect and plant disease samples will be available for viewing.
The tour begins at 9 a.m. with a welcome and coffee and rolls, and will conclude with a noon meal. The NCREC also is hosting a wheat preharvest marketing seminar, sponsored by the North Dakota Wheat Commission. The seminar begins at 1 p.m.
Field day topics are:
* Hemp production strategies
* Weed control research
* Clubroot management and identification in canola
* Omega-3 canola
* Pulse production, NDSU pulse breeding program and potential pea release
* Managing saline soils with beet lime
Topics for the wheat preharvest marketing seminar are:
* Marketing strategies for harvest and beyond, and the big issues impacting markets
* Demand outlook for hard red spring and durum wheat
* Challenges and opportunities for North Dakota wheat producers in 2019
Attending the field day and wheat preharvest marketing seminar is free of charge. The NCREC is a mile south of Minot on U.S. Highway 83.